Hey guys! I’ve been busy lately so I haven’t been able to keep track of all the recipes I’ve been using this week, so I apologize for that! I promise I’ll get my butt back on here ASAP. By the way, check me out on instagram! (Thumbnail on the right-hand sidebar, or @G1_N4)
In the meantime, I wanted to share the perfect quick snack (that’s healthy) that is one of my fallbacks when I don’t have much time. It’s microwave popcorn! I know, some people still think that microwave popcorn is unhealthy, but that’s only if you’re still buying it in the bag. Recent food trends have uncovered a way to make your own preservative-free popcorn – no air popper necessary.
Popcorn is loaded with fiber (it’s the only grain that we eat entirely; no removing husks or anything) and is a great unrefined carb. 1 cup popped = 30 calories. This recipe makes about 3 cups.
- 2 tablespoons popcorn
- pinch salt
- oil, coconut oil, butter of choice
Just put the kernels in a brown paper lunch bag, drizzle some olive oil, coconut oil, or butter, sprinkle on some salt and seasoning, fold the bag over, and microwave for 2-3 minutes, depending on your microwave’s strength. Stop when the popcorn pops greater than every 2 seconds.
Some of my favorite variations:
- shake on some Furikake (Japanese rice flakes after popping)
- sweet cinnamon sugar (1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tablespoon white sugar before popping)
- kettle corn style, salty & sweet (1-2 tablespoons white sugar before popping)
- chocolatey goodness (add 1 teaspoon cocoa powder before popping)
- spicy snacking (pinch cayenne or replace salt with chili powder before popping)
Get creative, enjoy!